Tuesday 14 January 2020

Rain Clouds Gather...

Everyone's left the house and i'm still laid in bed on my day off with Wilf the dog as a convenient hot water bottle replacement. I'm wasting time, I've even had a look on Magic Seaweed to see if it's worth the drive over to Longsands or South Shields and I decided if I pack the van up with gear I can decide a little later.

Today is a day I could REALLY do with a surf, but it looks a bit flat, there are black dots lining the lip of the sea but they seem to be sat waiting around for yonks. A grey cloud of self doubt hovers around me as I move around, questioning what am i doing with my life, am I gonna make things work at the café or is it a means to an end? (that sounds like an harsh/rash question to ask yourself but that's how my head operates at present) if I go surfing I'll get a couple of hours of free time to think clearly, reflect and calm my trademark hyperactive mind which in turn might provide some clarity or at least a break from all the perpetual uncertainty. As I write this i'm sat in Jesmond in a café then abruptly decided to head for towards my good friend - the sea.

Praia de Longsands on the Geordie Riviera
I hit the lip of Longsands just outside the Grand Hotel and see many unexpected lush waves, clean long and regular, totally unforecasted as I pull up there's Womp in his tiny Peugeot 106 crammed full of 'surf stuff' so we chat for a while then we head out together both opting for 'foamies' and quite frankly turns out to be an excellent choice filed under 'f' for fun, he encourages me with what he refers to as 'peer group pressure' to swim out further and the waves are incredible, easy to pick up, but last night I went to a circuit training class and I'm struggling to really 'pop' as my thighs feel like I've been holding the world on my shoulders... oh wait a minute!

Watching Womp


Last night I'd finally repaired my decaying winter wetsuit after relentlessly tolerated direct contact with the winter swell via a growing hole just above my derriere and low and behold it's worked and i'm surprisingly warm as well as saving £350 on a winter suit which I frankly don't have. Remember before when I talked about the grey cloud, well I don't! as I'm totally immersed in the North Sea, mentally, physically and spiritually having the time of my life. The only grey clouds are above and it's raining torrentially, on land this is not most people's idea of good weather but out here it's a thing of visual beauty.

So drenched i'd be better off in the sea

My arms soon don't have the strength to keep me in the deep so I call time, wave to the man and use my board like a bodyboard for a free lift to the shore. It's now that I realise it's actually raining cat's n' dogs, i'm soon wetter than when I was on the surfboard, but things feel good, I struggle to get dressed as my hands have turned into useless cold blue blocks and for a while sit listening to the very apt Bedouine in the van and prepare my journey back to the 'Eeeeeeed! (Gateshead to those that are curious!)

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just Me And The Sea. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig